Thursday 8 February 2018

Fright Meter Awards 2017 - The Winners


So it is that time of year again when the Fright Meter Awards are revealed. I'm a member of the awards committee and so I had high hopes for my choices, but luck wasn't on my side this year. However it was a good year for horror and the majority of the winners while not ones I picked are still mostly great in their own right. Eligible films for the 2017 awards are ones that were released in the U.S.A between 1st December 2016 and 30th November 2017.

Best Costume Design:

The Lure








Now I haven't actually seen this film, unfortunately I just didn't have time from the finalists being revealed to final votes needing to be in. As such I can't complain about this winning, though my choice was It, mainly for the great clown costume Pennywise wears.

Runners Up:

A Cure for Wellness
Annabelle: Creation
It
Personal Shopper


Best Special Effects:

The Void







I wasn't in love with this film, but it was good for what it was, and I did think the special effects were pretty good. My choice for this winner was Life, this was on part to it only showing up in this one category (which I find criminal), but also I love space based films and the effects used to recreate that off planet feeling never fail to impress me.

Runners Up:

Alien Covenant
Annabelle Creation
It
Life



Best Short Horror Film:

Death Metal








One of the rare categories my choice placed first in. A small group of committee members were tasked with watching the short film entries up for selection. Death Metal was a crazy and hilarious rampage that just delighted.

Runners Up:

Balloon
Justice Served
Taste
The Thin Place


Best Cinematography: 

A Cure for Wellness







This was another one I chose for winner. While I didn't like the film much at all there was no denying it was beautifully shot with great framing throughout. I should state one of the runners up: It Comes At Night I didn't get a chance to watch, I bought it to view but it arrived too late for the cut-off.

Runners Up:

It
It Comes At Night
Mother!
The Blackcoat's Daughter


Best Editing:

Mother!








I didn't enjoy this film at all, I have been told that is the point, but I found it pretentious and made me uncomfortable for the wrong reasons. Get Out was my choice for this one, it approached art house in the way it was all set up, especially towards the end the editing gets just superb.

Runners Up:

Gerald's Game
Get Out
It
Split



Best Score:

The Devil's Candy










I can't really complain about this winning, I chose The Blackcoat's Daughter but the soundtrack for this one fitted so well with what was going on in the movie.

Runners Up:

A Cure for Wellness
Get Out
It
The Blackcoat's Daughter


Best Make Up:

The Void









A second win for this one, I can't even recall what the make up was like in this one. While I found French horror Raw to be quite off putting I can't deny the make up effects on the various characters was fantastic, and so that got my vote.

Runners Up:

It
Raw
The Autopsy of Jane Doe
The Lure


Best Screenplay:

Get Out








Not my choice, but this is deserving nonetheless. I don't get the weird backlash going against the film currently everywhere, as it really was quite good. Gerald's Game was my choice for this one due in part to the great flashback sequences between a young girl and her dad.

Runners Up:

Gerald's Game
It
Mother!
Personal Shopper



Best Supporting Actor:

Bill Skarsgard (It)


There was only ever really one choice for me this year, his turn as Pennywise was amazing, that's all there is to say.

Runners Up:

Barry Keoghan (The Killing of a Sacred Deer)
Bradley Whitford (Get Out)
Jack Dylan Grazer (It)
Pruitt Taylor Vince (The Devil's Candy)


Best Supporting Actress:

Betty Buckley (Split)


My choice was also a Betty, but was Betty Gabriel from Get Out who gave a very memorable performance for such a small role.

Runners Up:

Allison Williams (Get Out)
Betty Gabriel (Get Out)
Michelle Pfeiffer (Mother!)
Sophia Lillis (It)


Best Actor in a Leading Role:

James McAvoy (Split)


This was one of the hardest categories for me as a lot of the nominees were great. It pained me not to choose Duplass but McAvoy was stunning.

Runners Up:

Daniel Kaluuya (Get Out)
Ethan Embry (The Devil's Candy)
Mark Duplass (Creep 2)
Thomas Jane (1922)


Best Actress in a Leading Role:

Carla Gugino (Gerald's Game)


She had a challenging role and she did good at it but I am pained that Jennifer Fraser didn't get this one. She was in one of the very first new wave of found footage horrors that focus on the bad guy rather than the victims, and she was authentically insane.

Jennifer Fraser (Capture Kill Release)
Jennifer Lawrence (Mother!)
Jessica Rothe (Happy Death Day)
Kristen Stewart (Personal Shopper)



Best Director:

Jordan Peele (Get Out)



There were some strong contenders here as well so while I think Peele's win is deserved I had hoped for M. Night Shyamalan who finally made a film to rival his original and best.

Runners Up:

Andy Muschietti (It)
Darren Aronofsky (Mother!)
M. Night Shyamalan (Split)
Mike Flanagan (Gerald's Game)


Best Horror Movie:

Get Out










2017 was a great year for horror and so while I voted for It I am still well on board for Get Out getting the win.

Runners Up:

It
Mother!
Split
The Devil's Candy



Overall this was a good year for horror films and there was a nice enough mix in the categories. On a personal level Nocturne was the best horror I saw last year, it is so good. Also I felt that The Babysitter truly deserved to get at least a few nominations, it's on Netflix and well worth a watch.

No comments: